Sunday, March 1, 2009

Bringing the Culture

Sulochan, Saroj and Kishore..... my friends, whom I found because of the institute in Bangalore where I learnt Java. Met them after a long time, at our favourite juice shop near HAL. I shared my USA experiences on demand. I told that they (Americans) give chance to the other person to go first out of the elevator, say sorry for even small things like touching unexpectedly etc., appreciate people for even smaller things like opening the doors etc. ., don’t mind in the airports to sit on the floor if the floor is clean, don’t rush and punch on your face if you ditch their vehicle with yours, Instead, ask you if you are ok ?, need any help ?? (Of course, they are gonna claim the damage expenses later on and that’s a different thing all together) and so on. I also said, we Indians can not even imagine that we can lead such a quality, ego less and disciplined life here. Sulochan was angry and asked me why don’t I bring that culture instead of just commenting. Point !!!. I said I'm doing that.We entered a local Volvo bus to reach Garuda Maal near MG Road. The bus conductor told me that she will offer us a nice deal. She has a torn ticket which is of worth 80 Rs., which she will give us and that costs us only 80 rupees instead of 120 or so for the ride. As usual I was confused because of the language gap, hesitated by nature and said ok for the deal. But that’s a nice deal too. After all I’m gonna save 40 rupees just like that !!!. As soon as he understood the situation, Sulochan said, ‘Try bringing the culture!!’. Pay 120 bucks and get new tickets !!!!' .I was speech less. This is what is the difference between 'Just talking and Doing'.

3 comments:

  1. That's a nice observation Sripal. I had been living in the USA for long now and started adopting some their(American's) ways of living. I became much more refined in my behaviour now and last time when I was in India I could not help but keep my manners show..I think it became my second nature now. With constant exposure one becomes what he/she is in Awe with.
    Let me correct you at the last note. If an American is offered a $120.00 ticket for only $80.00 and if it is leagal..he will 200% accept it. So don't feel bad.

    Shalini Varma.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,this is basic human nature and is universal.Be it any country.And considering the crisis,Americans have become more careful abt. the money they spend.
    Saw huge queues outside McDonalds to avail 1$ breakfast offer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 120/80$ thing or the MC 1$ thing are official and not cheating any thing. In my case it was cheating BMTC using a wrong ticket...

    ReplyDelete