Thursday, June 24, 2010

Race with the races...

Narration of a fictitious person of age 80 yrs, at the verge of dying, his experiences with races :

My journey with the races started the day I was born, the moment the white dressed species hit on my butts. There were many such species around me in different colors, different shapes and sizes. They all looked strange. The sound, the feel, the movement, everything looked strange. They moved close to me. The moved away from me. They touch my cheeks, they touched my shoulders. I hated their race, the human race. As I was growing up, as I started going to school, my hate on human race slowly started disappearing. I picked a different race up, 'the teachers race'. I hated them. I hated their brutality, I hated the assignments they give, I hated the punishments they gave. I hated the rules they imposed, I hated the rulers they carried. Only thing that I liked about them is that during my course of association with them, they taught me many and many ways of exploring new races, for the joy of hatred. They taught me what my 'nation' is, encouraged to take this race up and I explored the joy in hating the counter parts like Pakistani race. They taught me what my 'continent' is and I explored the joy of hating its counter parts like European race. They taught me what my 'religion' is but told me not to take this race up for hatred. It was like giving the keys to a thief and telling him not to rob.

Parents, they were no less. They together with a whole bunch of family members and relatives not just taught me new races like 'caste' but also accompanied me in enjoying the hatred basing this race on. We looked at the lower caste people and laughed at them with pity. We looked at the higher caste people and laughed at their arrogance. We didn't stop there but together with all these lower and upper caste people, went on and explored a more generalized race 'religion' that we were taught in schools much deeper and enjoyed the hatred much further. We hated one religion for its dictatorship on another religion. We hated one religion for its extremism on the other religion. A bunch of guys sitting in a rule making place represented an entire religion to us, so as a bunch of guys hiding together planning destruction. A best friend of mine who always inspired me to grow big in life was a Muslim, but that didn't matter. Another best friend of mine who loved me the most was a Christian but that didn't matter too. I learned about religion more in news papers and books than from my real life.

As I was teenager, I hated the parents 'race' for being a nag in my ears all the time. Don't think I was narrow minded, I loved some races too, per say the 'female' race. They looked beautiful, they sounded wonderful, they were too good to be hated. But that was only until that was all at a distance. Their possessiveness, their stupidity, ... I figured out as I moved close to them and made no delay in hating their race, the 'female' race. I still love them on the front pages of magazines, though.

Language, a wonderful means. Syllables of every language other than the ones those I know to speak sounded to me like stones in a metal box. I wondered how can there be poets in those languages !! Not just that, as I started working with the native speakers of those languages, I understood that they are good at team politics and hated their race together with the mates in my race. But there was always a need to mingle with them to hate another different race, the managers race. We together forgetting our language barriers, hated the managers race for the commanding they held on us. As I further grew at my work place, we all mingled together to hate people basing on the color based races. The best thing about this is the ease with which we can figure them out. You don't need to know their background, you don't even need to talk to them. Just see their skin color and can figure out their race.

In all these eighty years of my journey with race I only transformed my self from belonging to one race to another, I only changed my genres of races but never left the happiness of being a racist. When I was a teenager, I hated parents race. When I was a father, I hated teenage race. When I was a Telanganate, I hated the Andhra race. When I was a Telugu, together with Andhrates I hated the Tamil race. The transformation was amazing, so as the happiness. But, was that all really happiness ? That's pleasure for sure but I don't know if hatred can bring happiness. I never had time to think about it, even now. Now, at the verge of dying, I'm busy with the imaginations of the pleasure that the new genres of races at the place where my soul is going to move on is going to give me. My journey is going to end, but not that with the races. The journey, to be rhythmic the race with the races is never ending...

I will share the future experiences later, well, if there is internet connectivity there !!

Bye for now.

8 comments:

  1. REALLLLLY NICE!!
    Thoughtful and bang on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "A best friend of me who always inspired me to grow big in life was a Muslim, but that didn't matter. Another best friend of me who loved me the most was a Christean but that didn't matter too. I learned more about religion more in news papers and books than from my real life."
    This caught my attention,incidentally this post of yours has very depth in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post ra..,Life is a endless race with multipule laps ;).BTW you are already eighty, when you will share your FUTURE(?!!) :P. GOOD LUCK for your future RACE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "In all these eighty years of my journey with race I only transformed my self from belonging to one race to another, I only changed my genres of races but never left the happiness of being a racist."

    Super line. We have this momentary happiness in every period of our life. And in turn we tend to forget the effects of our thinking, doings and environment, good or bad. We just bask in the happiness/joy/pleasure generated at that moment and shun it when we experience the next happiness. By nature, we are discriminating and hypocritical beings in every alks of life. We are even hypocritical to ourselves. Thats the name of the game, and thats how we ace the race.

    ReplyDelete
  5. sripal bhai

    amazing post .... life is definitely race with the races ... as veturi put it "brathukante edureethega" .... but devadasu la brathikithe "sudi lo dooki edureedhaka munake sukham" ani kooda anukovachu :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderfully written. Amazed at your power of thought. Yes, agree that the race with the races is never ending within human conscious mind.
    On the contrary, humans tend to team up. They are attention & affection seekers. At each point of life, we humans are in love with something, we tend to team up with something or someone that the objecting party becomes the party to be hated.
    We humans are so selfish that we even love someone only to be loved back, only to get that attention back. With this deep instinctive need to be associated with someone or something is all human life is about. Of course! Hatred automatically comes as a balancing mechanism for this instinct.
    We tend to hate the other group, just to stay within this group. For the love of the current comfort zone we are in. To prove it to ourselves that we are loyal. But deep down within this love and loyalty is also questionable. But we HATE to accept that. And that's the only HATE that's real in human life

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sripal! Glanced overall at your posts. You are quite introspective,like it.How come we never interacted before on the blog? Anyways, Keep it up.

    So true, we tend to have divisions within divisions and the other side always seems to be wrong for everyone. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sripal,
    I saw your short film. I liked it.
    I know you from RGV blog. I know you used to work in India in some IT sector. When did you go to USA and join the NY film school ?

    I also want to study and become a film maker but too scared to leave the current good paid job as IT consultant. I'm 29yr old.
    Pls reply:
    venkat621@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete